Saturday 22 August 2009

Make us a brew

While enjoying catching up with some old friends and revisiting familiar haunts in Manchester, I've stumbled across what could be a fun little project. Over a slice of cake and a cup of Mr. Scruff's finest assam in... erm... Cup... I got chatting to a chap working there about the brew. I told him about my late granddad who was head Tea Taster at the Co-Op tea factory in Cheshire and how I still had his silver tea-tasting spoon and that he'd featured in a promotional video about the factory.

It turns out the Co-Op are involved in the Manchester Food & Drink Festival as are Cup, and they would be very interested to see the video and hear more about my Granddad and his work. And would I like to be involved in the festival myself and perhaps present the video? Is the bear Catholic?! What a wheeze.

And what a great inspiration for a little range of tea-inspired illustrations, just the focus I need to get my self-directed work off the ground.


6 comments:

  1. wow- a tea taster! amazing. congrats on your new found connection and inspiration- very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laura, I'll keep you posted on how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Phirefly! Definitely a kindred spirit...tea is the best best best! I'm putting the kettle on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No sugar and nice and strong for me please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story about your granddad. I went to photograph some tea tasters outside London a few years ago. If you can get into one of those places you will be so inspired. There are HUGE rooms with hundreds (if not thousands) of tea cups laid out and two men go along sipping and spitting each one...just like wine tasters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats a great idea - I'd love to witness it first-hand...

    ReplyDelete